Wednesday, May 4, 2011

WHY DOES YOUR PEE SMELL WHEN YOU EAT ASPARAGUS?

This is FASCINATING!

 
Asparagus contains a sulfur compound called mercaptan. It is also found in onions, garlic, rotten eggs, and in the secretions of skunks. The signature smell occurs when this substance is broken down in your digestive system. Not all people have the gene for the enzyme that breaks down mercaptan, so some of you can eat all the asparagus you want without stinking up the place.
 
I must have an abundance of the enzyme- I eat asparagus and my pee smells 5 minutes later
 
True story!
 
this and other great questions are answered in the book by Mark Leyner and Dr. Billy Goldberg,
 
 "Why Do Men Have Nipples?”
 'hundreds of questions you'd only ask a doctor after your third martini.'
 
I'm looking for this on iTunes right now.
 

2 comments:

MommyLisa said...

Me too. Then for a couple days too.

gammogam(s)gammergammygammon(B) said...

I've always wondered about this. Now I can skip the Alyssa Milano retweet on the same subject.