Friday, December 24, 2010

It's a Drink Celebration!

I thought I'd slide a little Holiday cocktail story your way. Well I have spent many a holiday enjoying many different libations (as my High School English teacher called them)
Some of my favs are-

"Ho-Ho-Tini" 2 shots of your favorite Vodka, 1 shot of Peppermint schnapps. Slide a candy cane in it for a fun garnish.

"Christmas in your Mouth" 1 part GoldSchlager-1 part vodka- add cranberry Juice

"Black Santa" 1 part vodka, 1 part Kahlua, 1 part peppermint schnapps

Now all of those are great but do not have a story- I have a cocktail I invented on a holiday- New year’s Eve-Eve (12/30) it’s called "The Bluto"

True Story- this was 1991- My friends and I wanted to party in a hotel for new years- we found out they jacked the room rates on new year’s eve so one of us said- "let's just do it on new year’s eve-eve!" Since we were all young and just wanted an excuse to get together and drink, we all said- "let's do it!"

So we booked two rooms and a hotel and got A LOT of liquor and started in about 6pm on 12/30. We had several folks drinking and staying but a few that came and went during the festivities.

At the midpoint I could not decide what to drink next. I stared at the table o' booze and just started pouring- I added a couple slashes of soda and drank- IT WAS DELICIOUS!

I had to quickly piece together what I made- as to not forget because of drunkenness. It was 2 shots each of vodka-rum-gin-whiskey with coke and sprite to fill the glass.

As I was enjoying my THIRD one- someone asked me what I was drinking- I looked at the TV and "Animal House" was on- it was the scene where Belushi- as Bluto- is downing the bottle of jack

I looked at them and said- "it's a Bluto and it's delicious!"


And so The Bluto was born!

Now later that night- due to the jibber jabber of some folks who had left- our festivities were busted and we were booted from the hotel. That gave birth to our now group famous exclamation- "DRINKIN'!"

But that is another story!

The Pete


No comments: