Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I love scotch! And I want her job!


Check out: "Heather Greene, Scotch Master -- Hot Girl, Cool Job" - www.asylum.com

http://www.asylum.com/2010/04/14/heather-greene-scotch-master-hot-girl-cool-job/?icid=asylum-iphone-url


Scotch master Heather Greene travels the globe offering booze enthusiasts the "Deadwood" equivalent of the Pepsi Challenge: The New York native provides blindfolds and, with snifters full of cinnamon and wood and pears and honey, schools the soused about the sauce -- in particular Glenfiddich Scotch Whisky. She helps drunks everywhere find out just which single malt whisky works best with their respective palettes. Trouble is, Greene goes down smoother than any swill the Scottish distillery has to offer.



You've been heading up Glenfiddich Scotch tastings for three years now. What did you do before then?

I am also a professional musician. Just as the music industry imploded around 2005, I was selling out tours in 10 European cities but bringing home a nickel and some drunken memories. While I was living in Edinburgh I needed some dough to record and satisfy my weekend-trip-to-Paris habit. So I walked into the Scotch Malt Whisky Society in Edinburgh to ask for a job, and they liked the idea of a Manhattanite working there.



I completely fell in love with the wistful world that is Scotch whisky. Within one year I had visited a dozen distilleries, taken a test to find out I was a "nose," served on the SMWS tasting panel (the first American woman, I'm told) and collected so many bottles I took a ship home from England so I could sneak them by customs. I've actually done that four times now.
That's quite a collection. So just how loyal are you to Glenfiddich? If Macallan called with a job offer, would you consider?

I don't care for the overt and strong sherry notes of their whiskies, and I would also get tired hanging around 60- to 80-year-old men in golf slacks correcting me on how to drink my dram. Glenfiddich is an exciting place to work. They have a true pioneering spirit, no pun intended, and are willing explore new ways to reach new drinkers. I've done tastings in odd art spaces, and I've worked with chefs on cooking and pairing with Glenfiddich. The fact that they even hired me is pioneering; most ambassadors are young men with an accent and a kilt. So, no, I have no interest in switching to another brand. Some of the opportunities that have come my way include offers to move to South Africa, Russia, France, work on TV shows, write books, teach, open whisky bars, and even pose nude with a whisky bottle. I've yet to be tempted. I've got the dream gig.



Are you usually working art shows and dinner parties? What's the usual scene like?

There isn't always a formula. I try to go where I can make an impact and find a way to create a meaningful experience with a loyal whisky drinker or novice. I've done whisky-paired dinners, charity events, speaking engagements, magazine parties, private parties, press events, men's clubs, restaurants and bars. Last week I met Sir Sean Connery, Donald Trump and Alan Cumming at the Glenfiddich-sponsored "Dressed to Kilt" annual event. That was good fun.

Do you find anything particularly sexy about your job?

I'll tell you what is super-sexy, and that's a woman walking into a bar and saying, "Glenfiddich 18. Neat. Side of water." I also like to see a female mixologist handle whisky and know what she's doing, like Aisha Sharpe at The Breslin in the Ace Hotel. Add her to my crush list.



Where in NYC do you recommend people go for a decent Scotch selection or just a flat-out damn-good deal?


I love Ari Form's cocktails at The Jakewalk in Brooklyn. He stunned me with this amazing nutmeg-infused Glenfiddich, and they have a killer collection.



You can't go wrong visiting Ethan Kelly at the Brandy Library for a huge selection, and for something esoteric, the recently opened 10 Downing has a Glenfiddich 15, a tea-infused whisky cocktail.



Highlands in the West Village is fabulous. I think Jim Meehan at PDT is great with whisky, as is Brian Miller at Death + Company. Hudson Bar and Books has a great list, too. Finally, Glenfiddich 12 can be found at just about any bar. It's springtime, and sipping that on ice is pure joy.

Are you a hot girl with a cool job? Write us so we can appreciate you.

-------------------------------

This article came from the Asylum iPhone App, which features all of the content from the www.asylum.com men's lifestyle site, including weird news, humor, fashion, sex tips, dating, style, food and wine, gadgets, tech, music, movies, events, health, fitness, entertainment and weirdness of all kinds.

To learn more about the app or download it go here:
http://www.asylum.com/downloads/iphone/



Sent from my BAT::iPhone